Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

So what do I do for my birthday?  Ride 75 miles on the bike to Escanaba. Michigan.  It was a great ride.  The road improved a lot today.  Great road.  Not much traffic. It was overcast most of the day - kind of a carryover of the rain from yesterday.  It is supposed to rain again tonight.  Then I hope it calms down.

Still lots of trees.  Not quite as closed in as in Wisconsin, but still nice.  A few more fields of alfalfa, and not much water ( a few rivers, but I think only one lake).

More flocks of turkeys.  After so many days of no road kill, we had some today.  A porcupine ( first since North Dakota) and surprise of surprises a wild turkey.  The turkey was a bit of a shock.  The ones that I passed by were either too skittish or seemed too  road smart to end up as road kill.

More nice people.  I was stopped next to the side of the road eating some lunch and a guy pulled over to see if things were ok.  He volunteered to go get some ice water from his house.  We just chatted for a while.  It was great.

Picked up a spare tire at the Post Office in Escanaba ( Leslie sent me one from home).  So now I feel more prepared  for emergencies.  The next few days will be shorter in distance ( a result of where there are places to spend the night.  I think I will take a day off when I get to Mackinaw Island.  Spend some time roaming around.

We switched to eastern time today.  One result is that I can't start riding until 7:30 or so.  I'll just sleep on in the morning.  Feeling great on  my birthday.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment