Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday, September 13, 2013

Two great days.  The biike riding has been sweet.  Not much traffic at all.  And the camping has been great.  Last night I spent at a state camp ground - Hog Island State Forest Camp ground  Right on the LAKE.  Beautiful views.  Quiet.  Nice people.  I met two couples from the non UP part of the state who said that the campground was their favorite and that they love UP.  There were a few drawbacks - no shower and no flush toilets, but small potatoes compared with the rest.

It did rain again, but only after 8:00 which is around my time to hit the hay anyway.
Oh, and it was COLD.  I just put on three shirts and a jacket and dusted off my ear warmers.

today was a much shorter ride. We got off the main road for a while and it was like back in Wisconsin. Great road. No traffic. And trees arching over like a gothic cathedral.

Tonight I am in a campground across the road from the LAKE, but with access to the LAKE.  We have a great view of the Mackinac Bridge. Going over to Mackinac Island tomorrow. The campground is still about 4 miles from the ferries,but they have a free service to pick people up at this campground. Loaded bike and all. Which is great news.  I tried riding the bike into town to buy groceries. It is a little crazy.  Supposedly there is a gigantic truck rally happening tomorrow.

I settled for a convenience store. Had my first pasty.  My sister-in-law, Dee, would love them.  They are all made with rutabaga's.  Basically, it is dough stuffed with meat and veggies (I had the veggie one).  It was good.
Til next time.
Til next time.

2 comments:

  1. My dad makes pasties, being Finnish. You are in Yooper country. My granddad was born in Ironwood in the UP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up on your journey. Envious of your rutabaga experience! Had brunch with your mom at the Cafe today. She's coming up next Saturday for Dave's bday.
    Here's to more blue skies and a wind at your back.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete