Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday, Sept 23, 2013

There are little things that give notice I am in a different country.  The streets aren't named Washington or Jefferson or Madison.  More along the lines of Trafalgar, Nelson, and King George. Then there is the whole thing with flying the flag.  I saw so many American flags flying on this trip.  Now there are just as many flags, but they are Canadian flags.  It is just different.  A lot of farmers fly the flag.  And there are signs about supporting the troops, just like back home.

Lots of apple orchards.  Harvesting going on.  The trees are really short, and FULL of apples.  One orchard today had the trees trimmed so they looked more like being part of a vineyard.  But with LOTS of apples.

Dogs were after me today.  Until the end of the day there was an interesting pattern.  The dogs would give chase, but they wouldn't come into the road. I got a bit confident that ALL dogs in Canada were like this until the last dog today.  By then I was assuming that I didn't have to worry about being attacked.  Of course that is when the dog came after me on the road.  And it was a big dog.

Besides the apple orchards, there were hundreds of pumpkins being harvested. And the usual corn, soybeans, etc.

There were llama's again.  But the intriguing animals on the road were snails.  I didn't see one of them squished.  But lots. Seeming to be headed for the other side of the road.

Lake Erie is BIG, like the other Great Lakes.  I am in Port Stanley.  You can tell it is a big touristy area, but this time of year it is mostly deserted. I was one of two people on the whole beach.

Had some brief conversations with some locals.  There is definitely an accent going on.  Can't really place what it is, but it is a lot more pronounced than I expected.

Met another cyclist today.  From Ontario, just taking advantage of the clear weather to do a bit of biking and camping.

Tired,  but feeling good.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment