Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday, Sept 27, 2013

Friday, Sept. 27, 2013

Happy birthday to my brother a day early!!!

The biking has been good the past two days.  Got to see the power of Niagara Falls, and a bit of history by riding for 40 miles next to the Erie Canal.

The tough part of the past two days has been logistics.  Finding places to spend the night.  Finding good things to eat.  Finding a Laundromat before the clothes started to smell like a road-kill skunk. The biking is the easy part.

Got lost yesterday. Still don't know how it happened.  Once I knew I wasn't where I was supposed to be, I tried to find someone to give me directions.  That turned out to be a young flagman on road construction.  Found out about a generational thing.  He had no clue how to get me back to where I needed to be.  He always relied on the GPS on his phone.  Except it wasn't working.  So he asked an older worker(30 instead of 22).  He knew for sure.  And gave me some incredibly confusing directions. I understood the first part, so I headed in that direction.   Flagged down a 60 year old guy, and he whipped out a map and showed me where to go.  Just up my alley.  Turns out I was only about two miles off course. Maybe I need to get with it and get a smart phone with GPS.

Am currently in a town southeast of Rochester, NY.  Will start to head up to Lake Ontario tomorrow, and then over to the Adirondacks.

Frustrated about logistics, but the outlook usually seems brighter after a good night's sleep and getting on the bike in the morning.


Oh, the animal report.  Blue Heron haven along the canal.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment