Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday, September 9, 2013

Three days to catch up on again.  Seems to be a pattern.  For some reason, Wifi is hard to find up here in the north woods.

Roads have continued to be great.  On Saturday had some trouble.  Road construction.  Total of about 6 miles with new gravel and then some other surfaces to boot.  I was confused at one point.  The sign said road construction, but there were no flaggers and the equipment was on the road.  I had a scraper and a water truck coming at me at the same time, covering both sides of the road.  Luckily, the water truck was slower than the scraper and I moved into the other lane.  Interesting.

Saw a flock of wild turkeys.  Actually I sneeked up on them and surprised them as I went by.  10-12 turkeys scattering and flying into the trees a bit panicked.

Ended up staying at the Loon Lagoon campground.  Aptly named.  I never saw a loon that day, but they were looning away ( or whatever you call their vocal outbursts).

The dew was really heavy on the tent in the morning.  The wettest I have experienced in a tent.  Took me two extra hours to dry out the tent before I could get going.

The roads yesterday were great again.  Discovered  quite  few bike paths around Boulder Junction. Lots of riders out enjoying the freedom from cars.  Was enjoying the bike paths so much I missed a turnoff.  All of a sudden there was a lake next to the bike path and the map didn't have the lake located there.  So I ended up going an extra 8 miles.  Was already going 60 miles, so the extra 8 wasn't appreciated by my tired body.  I was just having too much fun to notice my mistake.

Today it rained most of the day.  I had noticed on the weather map that rain was in the forecast, but when I asked the locals, they didn't think it was going to happen.  Oh well.  It wasn't a hard rain, just wet.  

Today was another day for turkeys.  Three flocks.  All had from 8 - 10 birds.  Not so skittish.  They calmly waited until I passed and then continued crossing the road, even splitting up the flocks.
It was a treat.

Today I am in Michigan.  I noticed lots more smokers.  Roads not as in good a shape, but still great scenery.  Kind people.  Crystal Falls, Michigan.  Escanaba tomorrow.

When I get to Escanaba, it will be in the eastern time zone.  Something to mark for those who call me.  I tend to go to bed early.

Tomorrow is also my birthday.  The big 60!!!!!

Til next time.

2 comments:

  1. I love following your blog Uncle Al! Hope your birthday ride is amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Alan!!!!

    ReplyDelete