Friday, September 6, 2013

Friday, August 6, 2013

Wisconsin has been incredible.  Almost all of the route has been on back roads.  Quiet, peaceful.  Almost no traffic.  And trees, trees, trees.  There is shade most of the day.

Sttayed in Birchwood last night.  City campground next to a lake.  An older gentleman came by in the evening and we chatted about farms, the Twin Cities, and life in general. Kind, gentle, considerate, friendly.  It was an absolutely clear night.  Stars were out in force.

I seem to be in lake country.  Lots and lots of small lakes with the shores dotted with cabins and homes.  All of the advertizing is for "resorts".  Some of them have one cabin to rent, some have 15 to rent, but they all want to be called "resorts".

Most places have a personal familly sign out front with some kind of original art or design.

The Johnnsons - Fred, Mary, Pete and Linda, with a painting of their house or boat or trees.

Lots of names that end in .......son.

No road kill.  Nada. None.  A result of back roads,little traffic and slow speeds, I assume.

A bit of bad luck today.  Another spoke popped.  Back wheel again.  It was wobbly, but allowed me to ride the last 28 miles into Clam Lake.  I was a little forward in Clam Lake, since there are no bike shops for a while.  The first place I stopped, I asked if someone could loan me a cresent wrench to put in a new spoke.  Sure enough, a guy loaned me the right wrench, told me where to find his shop, and told me to put the wrench in the front door when I got done - unlocked, of course.

I put in a new spoke ( it wobbles, but not as bad as before), put on a new tire, and a new chain and didn't even say very many bad words.  You who know me, realize that I am not a very good mechanic.  I will do it, but it usually takes 3 times as long as it should.

Today was the offical ( for mileage) half way point of the trip.  Feels good.  The riding is going great.  It is supposed to rain on Monday, but that leaves two good days to ride until then.

Til next time.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Alan,
    It sounds like you are having an awesome time! I envy you getting to see the country and meet people they way that you are doing. It restores a bit of my faith in the human race! I do not envy the bike riding; however, that makes my body hurt just thinking about riding 100 miles in a week let alone a day. lol Be safe and continue to have fun. Bev jackson

    ReplyDelete