Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A few great days.  The area around Lake Koocanusa (created by Libby Dam) is beautiful, but it got a bit boring.  That is one huge lake.  Ended up in Eureka (about the most northwest you can get in Montana).  Stayed in the city campground, which was great in some aspects, but had its drawbacks -  it turned out to be the hangout for all of the young people in town.  So, constant trucks coming in and out of the park.  Lots of guys and girls trying to meet and impress each other. I never felt threatened, but it put me on edge.  I can sleep anywhere, so I did fall asleep.  I woke up with a start around 12:30 and felt something was wrong.  IT WAS FINALLY QUIET!  Ate a tremendous meal at a restaurant on the Main Street.  Green Curry which was one of my favorites in Casper.  It was tremendous.  I ate it slowly and savored every bite.

Today I find myself in Whitefish, MT. The ride from Eureka was great again.  Followed another river  valley.  The last 4 miles into town were the worst yet.  No shoulder, lots of traffic - including BIG trucks, and the beginning of crazy traffic related to Glacier and the Flathead Valley.  But I made it.  The Glacier bike shop helped with some bike issues ( I think I finally have that behind me).  I am staying in a hotel tonight (It feels good, finally).  It has a laundry, which i needed about as much as a shower.  I was beginning to be able smell myself ( not a good sign).

Whitefish is beautiful.  Great mountains, and a nice sized lake with a beach and boating, etc.  Really a nice vibe.  For you Montanan's, I had a great pizza at the MacKenzie River Pizza Company.  Multi-grain crust and lots and lots of veggies.  MMMMMMM.

Tomorrow I head for Glacier.  Not sure what direction I will be going in.  Wanted to do the Going to the Sun Highway, but all indications  are that the traffic and craziness will drive me away from that and more towards a route around Glacier.  We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Having a great time!

2 comments:

  1. Alan, I finally remembered to get your blog information from Jamie. It sounds like you are having a great time. I look forward to seeing pictures when you return. Take care & stay safe! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan,

    I just tried to publish a comment, but it looks like it did not post. I will try again....

    It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. We sure miss you around the office, but somehow we are wading through the muck. I am so happy you are realizing your dream of riding across the U.S. You are certainly an inspiration to those of us still sitting behind a desk! Keep safe and enjoy your travels. I will be in touch from time to time.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete