Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26, 2013

After Medora and the badlands, the terrain changed dramatically.  From 10-15 miles east of Medora, immediately it became farm country.  Lots and lots of grain, hay making, some corn, and now we are into sunflowers.  I am especially drawn to the fields of sunflowers.  Bright and different.

We had a few more episodes of the "parting of the grasshopper sea" today.  The part that I don't like about it is when they end up all over me.

Spent last night in Glen Ullin ( I think that is how you spell it).  The campground host was originally from Minnesota.  Very friendly.  Has a son who works in Casper of all places.  He used the expression "you betcha" about 10 times during our five minute conversation.  Brings me back.

Today it was cooler and rainy most of the day.  Not much rain, but enough to keep me wet for long periods of time  A good contrast to the hot, hot , hot of the last few weeks.

Today's stangeness involved porcupines(sp?).  There were at least 7 maybe 8 dead porcupines on the road.  I think I have only seen one other porcupine that had been hit by traffic in my whole life.  So, it seemed rather strange to find so many today.

In Bismark, which a stark contrast to where I have been for most of  my trip.  Too much traffic.  It is a nice city.  Just different when you see it on a bike.  Supposed to be big thunderstorms tonight, so I got dry and am enjoying a tentless motel stay.  We'll see what the weather bring tomorrow.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment