Saturday, August 3, 2013

sat. august 2, 2013

It has been a wet and cold beginning.  So far each day has started with the mountains/hills shrouded with fog that hasn't really burned off until way later in the day.  It rained two days.  But the good news is that my rain gear works, and it was mostly just  drizzle.  Kept me in the tent for 5 hours on Thursday morning. But right after i decided to go for it, the rain quit for 30 minutes, which allowed me to get the tent down and head on my way.  Camping every night so far.  Last night used the bear proof storage for the food.  No encounters.  I had more encounters with a bunch of drunk college kids who strayed into my sight looking for the bathroom.
Currently in Winthrop, Washington.  Really  busy town.  It is Saturday and the locals tell me that Canadians have a holiday.  There also seems to be a motorcycle rally going on.  Lots and lots of bikers(the other kind).  Winthrop styles itself as an old west kind of town.  Wooden boardwalks all along the center of town.  Had lunch at "The Schoolhouse" (can't get away from it).  Nice patio overlooking the river that goes through the center of town.
Broke a spoke on my rear tire yesterday.  Limped into Winthrop and got it fixed at a bike shop.  For me, the rear spokes are a big challenge, so better to have  someone who knows what they are going take care of it.
Getting the hang of how much to eat and when.  I need to eat more.  I just keep riding and then discover that my energy supply is too low.
Beautiful mountains, but I am not very good at climbing.  Maybe I will get better at that as I go along.

A day early, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Mom!!!!!!!!!!  Til nextt time.

1 comment:

  1. Your Mom appreciated the birthday message! All is going well on the farm. I am looking forward to seeing my 2 sisters on Wednesday! We are thinking about you and mentally pushing you through the mountains! Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete