Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013

The mountains of  Vermont have been challenging and beautiful. The big event of the last few days happened yesterday.  I rode into Bethel, Vermont and didn't know where I was going to stay for the night. I had tried to call earlier to find a place, but the phone connection was bad.  So, I got there and tried to chase down a place to stay.  None were available.  I was exhausted after climbing over a mountain pass and was at a very low point.  I was sitting in front of a convenience store eating so that I would have enough energy to figure out what to do next.  A woman came over and started talking with me.  It turns out that she had passed me on her bike earlier.  She is a triathlete and was out for a training ride.  Long story short, I stayed with her and her husband and their three kids (and two dogs, three cats and a fish).  They fed me and got me back on my feet.  We had a lot of fun.  It was a great connection.

Today, going over another pass, the rode was closed.  The detour was all dirt and gravel.  So it was uphill with a not very forgiving surface to ride on.  Turned out to be only about 6 miles out of the way.  The rest of the day was great.  Am in Fairlee Vt.  Across the river from Orford, New Hampshire.  Recalculated and I think I have about 8 days of riding left.  The weather has turned really unpredictable.  Rain the and like in the forecast.  We will see what it will bring.

Feeling good.  A bit worn out, but good anyway.  I can't be complaining.  Casper got slammed by a snow storm.  At least I'm not in that.

Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment